532 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Fair warning from US Ambassador
Mar 02, 2019, 12:12
nigelswift wrote:
The EU is a “museum of agriculture”, the US ambassador to Britain has said, as he urged the UK to embrace American farming methods to seal a transatlantic trade deal.

Writing in The Telegraph, Woody Johnson says US practices such as chlorine-washing chicken and feeding growth hormones to cattle are “the future of farming” while the EU’s “traditionalist approach” belongs in the past.

Brexit's a farce, but I wouldn't pay much attention to any of the messaging coming out of the current US administration. They have as much understanding of the issue as the average member of the tory party.

in the past week alone they have made two completely contradictory demands about Brexit... firstly that any future free trade deal with the UK is contingent upon the terms of the Belfast Agreement being respected and the British border in Ireland remaining open.

And at the same time demand a relaxation of UK agricultural standards (which would -- by definition -- require a hard border in Ireland).

The whole thing is a clusterfuck of epic proportions, but I'm not sure anything said by one of Trump's diplomats can technically be described as a "fair" warning.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index