532 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jul 23, 2018, 10:03
Re: A Point of View
Jul 23, 2018, 09:11
Hi June,
Well I've never been guilty of idealising Europe. I know it has massive faults. But the right wing drift is happening here too and IMO Oswald Moseley's audience is still here and if ever someone like him reappears he'll be followed.

On the other hand, politics is a pendulum, it will swing back, both here and in Europe (and America) eventually.

My objection to Brexit isn,t about that though. It's the fact it's the defeat of the young - both their opinions and their aspirations. That's what makes me so bitter - our generation has had it all but our children will have far less - what a legacy to leave them.

And actually, extreme right wing movements arise from deprivation so if Brexit makes great swathes of our country poorer Moseley WILL be back. The author warns Remainers that Europe is drifting to the extreme right but what's the betting that a couple of years post-Brexit, with people blaming conditions on both May and Corbyn (with some justification) Britain will be more right wing than almost all of Europe?

(Sorry to be so damn opinionated, as S would say. But I feel the country has been robbed).
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index