Jesus I despise Brexit.

Pages: 54 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jesus I despise Brexit.
May 04, 2018, 13:49
Two things:
1. Been in hospital for major operation, performed by utterly brilliant team of 12, only one of whom was British, led by Spanish anaesthetists and uber cool 30 year old black French surgeon indistinguishable from Bob Marley, radiating competence, humour and leadership.

2. Out now and OK, watching lunchtime telly and a succession of street interviews in Dudley Market, absolutely wreaking of naked, vile racism and calls for Brexit to happen asap.

Fuck 'em all. And no, that's not the medication talking.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Jesus I despise Brexit.
May 05, 2018, 09:48
nigelswift wrote:
Two things:
1. Been in hospital for major operation, performed by utterly brilliant team of 12, only one of whom was British, led by Spanish anaesthetists and uber cool 30 year old black French surgeon indistinguishable from Bob Marley, radiating competence, humour and leadership.

2. Out now and OK, watching lunchtime telly and a succession of street interviews in Dudley Market, absolutely wreaking of naked, vile racism and calls for Brexit to happen asap.

Fuck 'em all. And no, that's not the medication talking.

Hi Nigel, sounds like you had a good, positive experience in the hospital. Brexit aside, I hope you are back on your feet in time to see the bluebells. Wishing you a very speedy recovery.
J x
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 05, 2018, 10:05
Thanks June. I only mentioned it to express the fact when you see the actual coal face you realise the truth and how it can't be manipulated. I also saw the less well financed side of it - long rows of patients on trollies in the classic wartime scenes - they really exist. I don't see how that will get better in post Brexit, poorer Britain under Prime Minister Gove and Health Minister Rees Mogg!

As for bluebells, haven't seen those yet but at this moment 2,000 Morris dancers are streaming past my window (honestly, it's a festival). Unless that's the medication!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6195 posts

May 06, 2018, 21:48
Sorry to hear you've been ill Nigel, hope you're on the mend. At least we are finally getting some cheery weather and nature is re-envigorated.

My views on Brexit remain unchanged, you'll be shocked to hear.
Jeez
98 posts

May 06, 2018, 23:39
I'm sorry you've been unwell, but really what you are trying to do is the same method the Nazis used in the 1930s. The way people constantly link Brexit to racism is 1984 style brainwashing. I voted for Brexit, and I have been in a mixed race relationship for 20 years. We both want a proper Brexit. The EU is a capitalist club which when it doesn't work takes it out on the working class poor (see Greece/Spain/Ireland).
Does looking like a cool Bob Marley make you a better surgeon? No, and that's inverse recism. What's wrong with English people? Do you think the people of Dudley are more racist that those of Rome who attack every English supporter that visits their city?

You hate your own country but love everyone else.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 07, 2018, 09:12
May 07, 2018, 07:40
Well, as it happens I know Dudley and various Black Country towns extremely well and I assure you lots and lots of people voted Brexit precisely for racist reasons and saying so is NOT using nazi brainwashing tactics.

And opposing Brexit does NOT mean I hate my country. (It's an outrage you should make such an accusation actually).

Crikey, please wind your neck in. I have an opinion. It's a forum. C'est tout.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1126 posts

May 07, 2018, 22:13
It would be futile to say there's no link between the EU Ref and the rise in hate crime, the figures from the HO and Police have repeatedly shown this is in fact vary much the case. Just because you didn't vote with 'racist' intentions many other people did and have repeatedly used it as as excuse to spew their bigoted bile.

Like Nigel I know the area very well, having been born there, and although it's a very beautiful part of the country it's very isolated and many people there have very racist views, some of whom are family members.

I voted remain, leaving the EU is utterly senseless and not one official report shows that it's going to end well. I live in Wales so we're going to be doubly screwed! To say it's a capitalist club really ignored the fact that so is the UK government. Personally I want the objectivity the EU offers over the staunch anti-human ignorance and bigotry of the uk govt. But each to their own I suppose.
Rhiannon
5290 posts

May 10, 2018, 22:24
Have just noticed your post. Hope you are firmly on the mend. x

I continue to listen to the daily news (probably against the benefit of my health) and can safely say that no-one at all - politicians that is - knows what the hell is going to happen come Brexit. We're even being told xy and z are "what the public voted for". Hah how short do you think our memories are. Most people don't even have a reason they voted Brexit that would take longer than 10 seconds to explain. It's like watching one of those youtube videos where you can see something awful and but clearly predictable about to happen. As for accusations that those who wanted to keep the status quo hate their own country, that's just about as illogical as it gets. never mind. the world's gone mad.

Can confirm the bluebells are great, June :) and the wild garlic.
nigelswift
8112 posts

May 11, 2018, 08:50
Yes,"What the public voted for" is very irritating and the only defence against another vote which Leavers fear above all things.

I guess, if you have the time to wait, we'll be back in eventually, it's where we belong and its in the nature of the thing where it was the young that wanted to stay. I hope referendums are removed from the British constitution after this. Representative democracy is less susceptible to punch lines by the likes of Boris and Farage.

Bluebells yes. And curlews!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1126 posts

May 17, 2018, 20:03
At least your country didn't just vote to hand over devolved powers back to westminster by siding with the tories and ukip!
Pages: 54 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index