532 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Jesus I despise Brexit.
Jul 20, 2018, 20:45
goffik wrote:
I remember from my days of working just outside Swindon (in a peaceful little town called Lechlade) how much a part of the local landscape Honda was. Not only in physical size, but as a huge employer.

So many local people worked there in some capacity. A great many smaller villages in the area must have had similar ties to the factory, and as such it would have been a great support to the local economy.

Without it, I imagine lots of people will likely have to look further afield for employment, resulting in having to move away, harming the communities and stunting growth within.

This is only an example of one such company in this situation across the country. It will be a devastating blow if Honda were to move parts of its production overseas.

G x

Thanks for this post Goffick. I am not really a 'car person' and there is a part of me that would like to see the Honda factory dismantled and turned into woodland. The other part of me (and I couldn't say which is the better part) supports the Honda workers and their jobs. Just as I supported the miners back in the mid 1980s. Most of those mines haves gone now and fossil fuels are being phased out but that was the future which couldn't be foreseen back in the 1980s. Perhaps in 40 years time people will return to bicycles and other means than owning a car of getting from A to B. That is the future though - history will record the impact of brexit, global warming and over population.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index