Silbury updates
This topic is locked

669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Calling "Fool on the Hill"
Jul 30, 2007, 11:42
FOTH, thanks for what you have imparted so far. Since you seem to be close to the action might I request that you post more, as much as you feel able?

There are a lot of people out here who have a lot of emotional attachment to the Hill and are in a position not unlike having a critically ill relative in hospital but being up against a virtual wall of silence from the doctors, picking up tiny hints and fearing the worst.

This has how EH has conducted the project for seven years so its hardly a surprise but their conception of public outreach has been to say as little as possible and spin what they do say to make it sound like they are perfect in every respect. That attitude is particularly unsustainable just now as things are obviously very serious and pinning it on God for delivering an exceptional period of rainfall, like he does periodically as we all know, isn't going to be enough to explain it all is it?

I think, if you can give some details where you know them of the perceived cause and source of the saturation, the anticipated mechanical and chemical changes it is likely to have resulted in, the scale and position of the collapses and an idea of the sort of risks that may be being faced it would do a favour to the public. And indeed to EH - better the plain truth should be out, however serious, they'll get more understanding and sympathy in the horrifically difficult task they now face than if they persist with mumbling and hints. Yes, I know they don't know a lot and simply can't give definitive answers, but they sure as hell know a lot more than they're sharing. There is no respectable reason why what the public knows shouldn't equate with what they know but I have long given up thinking they will ever act in an open and transparent way. If people like you can get us to the position we would be in if they did then it would be beneficial all round.

Thanks.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index