This topic is locked

669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Silbury updates
May 21, 2007, 21:11
Nor have English Heritage answered the question I sent their 'Ask the Experts' link.**

My question was, "Where is the new chalk infill being sourced, and in what form (ie blocks, rubble, granules) is it being introduced to the tunnels and shafts?" English Heritage's reply, in a private email (not a public reply as it should have been to their 'Ask the Experts' link below) was -

Dear LS - thank-you for your query

We have identified the chalk used in the construction of Silbury as being from the Holywell Nodular Chalk Member of the Middle Chalk Formation and probably the Zig Zag Chalk Member of the Lower Chalk Formation.

We have found exposures of both Members at the Beggars Knoll Quarry near Westbury and this is the source for the chalk which will be used to infil (sic) the Hill.

The chalk will be crushed on site to a suitable size.

I hope this is helpful.

best regards from the Silbury project team"

Redundant hyphen in line one. Spelling mistake in line four. No capital, no full stop in last line. Meaningless gobbledygook in lines two, three and five. General lack of clarity leading to the impression that English Heritage are not only running late on their Silbury updates and Ask the Experts link they're also running scared. EH, you aint seen nothin' yet.

** http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.17513
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index