Silbury updates
This topic is locked

669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
whipangel
137 posts

More details re temporary halt
Jul 27, 2007, 11:15
Just had a short conversation with Rob Harding from the site (I gather), who very kindly gave me some more details about the temporary halt to repair works.

As we know an internal collapse, the knowledge that some of the tunnels were not filled, and the strain that the supports in the Atkinson tunnel are under has meant that work has had to stop.

A new plan has already been put together (by Rob Harding) on how to proceed now that previous working methods are no longer viable for safety reasons. He hopes to have this plan approved (and funded) early next week.

I gather that the flooding has made much material on the surface of the (vertical) tunnel loose.

I asked whether the hill was in more danger now, and was told that there was no way of knowing without entering, but (if I understood correctly) that it was not thought to be catastrophic. I gather there is no discernable change to the hill's outward appearance.

With more rain on the way over the next few days I imagine all any of us can do is wait and see now.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index