Topic View: Flat | Threaded
slumpystones
769 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jul 02, 2007, 14:10
Robert Carr wrote:
slumpystones wrote:
There are three main reasons:

It sets a precedent, one that could be used by any number of groups with a greater affiliation to another site. For instance, Pagans may choose to bury their cremated fellowship in a site they feel particularly close to, or Trottiscliffe school, itself in danger of being closed, could decide that Coldrum needs a time capsule. Who could then deny them that right?

It is pointless. The media coverage and recording of the contents mean there will never be a point to digging it up. Archaeologists will probably not be interested in something they can click on and view online, or view photos and scans of in a local museum.

It goes against everything English Heritage stand for - to protect and conserve - and therefore undermines their position.

Nicely put slumpystones. Stay calm now :-).

On point three.

English Heritage may (or may not) have made a boo boo over the time capsule but does that totally undermine their position. Surely the main objective of the current work is to protect and conserve Silbury Hill and to stop it collapsing.

Isn't that what everyone wants and will this project not achieve that objective?

I don't think that a single time capsule would totally undermine their position, but it certainly doesn't help. They should be standing up, safe in the knowledge that their position as the conservor of the nation's monuments cannot be called into question. They should be able to say NO and mean it, and not be challenged.

If I agree to protect and conserve my neighbour's house while he's away, do I have any right to tamper with anything on his property? Okay, I may need to fix the gutter for him, but I wouldn't have the right to insert something of my own into the house or garden while I'm doing it!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index