The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Silbury Hill »
Silbury updates
This topic is locked

669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: (OT) Antlers, and the pieces thereof......
Jul 01, 2007, 13:33
"I'm fairly sure I'm not in favour of the TC but when I wonder why I discover its just an emotional response, lol! I guess in the scheme of things its not a terribly destructive thing to do."

I agree, in the scheme of things its a small matter. But - and maybe its my age, I don't know - I can't help but be a bit shocked to see the body that is the top guardian of all this heritage just (as I see it) flouting the rules - for no explained or fathomable reason. In itself not a good role model for the Avebury kids and certainly a very unwise thing to do in view of the fact that for everyone else in the country burying crystals and such like at scheduled monuments is not only frowned on but illegal. So it blows some of their moral authority - and that of everyone else - to disapprove of "self-determination of the resource" as my little metal detecting friends term it.

There's also a valid reason for an emotional response. Isn't this the organisation that has earned itself quite a reputation for being just a tad high handed, secretive and arrogant here and there over a large number of years amongst a large number of people in a large number of places? 90% undeserved, let us say, but since they must be aware of the fact then you might think someone in the organisation might have the sense to ensure the reputation is NEVER validly earned. Seems not. Which is a bit scary.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index