669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Re: And now for the door...
Jul 22, 2007, 11:51
Littlestone wrote:
Can we now close that blooming door ?

Not letting you off the hook that easily Mr VBB :-)

I want to know more about this treadle. Some of us won't sleep easy until we're sure there's no foot-operated machine chugging away at the heart of Silbury ;-)

If that is a door hook, you can sling your hook !

I am back to work on the morrow after my fortnight in the boiling sunshine oif the south coast, where the birds are singing and I can stop toying with heritage professionals by chance encountered on trips round Dorchester Museum.

She was also a very nice woamn!

As for the treadle you will have to watch the DVD of Now for Something Completely Different and wait for the bit where Graham Chapman is sent by the mill owner to take a message to the Country House.

This symbolises the clash of cultures between ordinary working folk who love ancient monuments industrial archaeology history about people places and events relevant to them, and the upper echelons and those dedicated to grand architecture and public statuary. In the C19 the interest of this latter brigade was in self-preservation managed as a private club by archaeological societies dominated by clergy and gentry. Now it is similarly managed in self interest by another sort of private club.

But holiday over I have now to revert to my usual fleeting appearances after two weeks at Loggerheads with 'er indoors, and return to earning the wife enough to go to bingo. As I am next year four years older than Mr Swift is now, I may have more time to engage with you all. Till then, add, ad, adie u....cheerio.

VBB
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index