669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ascorbic
ascorbic
15 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jun 27, 2007, 17:10
slumpystones wrote:

You said they'd been drinking beer too. Glad they found time for the simple pleasures ;)

I guess we are guilty of the Time Team thing, and you're right about the 'before and after' work being done by others with no credit, leaving them to edit film in later with amazingly educated assumptions. It makes it dangerous, because when we have this multi-million pound project, we're pretty much conditioned to expect results now.

Most of my dig experience is being a pain in the arse by asking constant questions, taking photos and generally getting in everyone's way, bribing them with beer n stuff to save myself from getting a ban :)

As for the Whitehall civil servant, I just thought it would be better to ask someone with webpage experience to put together the report based on stuff received from the site. If the image is crap, I'm surprised nobody put their hand up and asked for a better one, which is how it would work anywhere else.

Well, it's not archaeology unless you go to the pub after a day's work!

To be honest, I think it was the opposite - it was sent back because the file was too large to email with full-res images, so they re-compressed it and sent it again. It's only an image in an update; hardly worth making such a big issue out of it. I'm sure they'll find a better balance between file size and image quality next time. As someone who spends a large amount of my working day dealing with JPEG encoding and image processing, I know it can be annoying.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index