This topic is locked

669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Silbury updates: 'Atkinson/BBC Entrance'
May 26, 2007, 12:28
I think the thinking comes from the Burra Charter, which says

"The traces of additions, alterations and earlier treatments to the fabric of a place are evidence of its history and uses. These will often be a major part of its significance. Conservation action should assist and not impede their understanding. "

But of course, that makes sense with a Manor House where successive changes are interwoven and a valid part of the history of the whole. I don't see much applicability to Silbury which is overwhelmingly a neolithic monument with Roman, Saxon and later tweaks that obviously have to stay. Atkinson's daft door has no more place there than an Ice Cream van that has managed to squat there for 40 years. Its a matter of judgement, not slavishly following a principle. Looks pretty bleeding obvious to me, anyway.

The proponents of Burra will say - ah but which is the real Silbury, there are lots. What right do we have to pick and choose what to preserve? (There was even a school of thought that the tunnels should be preserved). My answer is we have every right to choose to do what's bleedin' obviously right.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index