Topic View: Flat | Threaded
slumpystones
769 posts

Re: English Heritage - Another side
Jun 30, 2007, 08:51
nigelswift wrote:
"Well, what do you know? Can't disagree with either of your points Nigel."

Its the elephant in the room.
Too much has been said here that has been or might have been taken as criticism of the do-ers - when none of us has reason to think they deserve it. Insofar as I might have contributed to that at any time I apologise sincerely and hope the message gets through. By contrast, all the criticism should actually be directed at the deciders, some of whose decisions have been, in my opinion, outrageous by any measure other than their own.

Thanks, Nigel, I'd hate people to think I was directing any of my own anger at the poor wet, bedraggled, hardworking guys on the ground. I am a naturally cynical bastard when it comes to civil servants, people with pensions to protect and those who believe one thing but say something else because it's either party politically correct or could damage their careers. I have dealt with them, fought with them and occasionally beat them at their own game for most of my life in various ways, and they have absolutely no allegiance to anything, especially the temporary position they have found themselves in. They make decisions with little knowledge of the subject they are affecting, and if it all goes tits-up they are relocated in another department, pension intact, and a conscience as unaffected as ever.

Therefore we have government department X run by people who last week were running department Y [check the latest cabinet reshuffle!!].

If that happened in my business, I'd have instructors opening the gate, security guards servicing bikes and mechanics answering the phone and me teaching people to ride.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index