Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ascorbic
ascorbic
15 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jun 27, 2007, 08:46
Littlestone wrote:
whipangel wrote:
With the 'Special Edition' over the weekend and this one, we're now starting to get some better info.

What are these fools at English Heritage up to, it's not rocket science to work out that the image/map on the first page of their sixth update would be illegible onscreen (and not much better printed out). Thankfully, however, they've dropped the Mickey Mouse format of their previous updates and are now publishing something with a bit more meat on it (I say 'bit more' because the info coming out really is vague and amateurish). Consequently, slumpy, even if I could I can't answer your question re: "Does this second bank mean two banks with a ditch between them..." Perhaps someone from English Heritage's esteemed 'Silbury Hill Conservation Project archaeological team' could address the question here... English Heritage, you have an audience of informed contributors on TMA waiting for clear and accurate information on your activities and finds at Silbury - do it!

I get the impression that you could never be satisfied, whatever EH provided with you. With every update and every improvement you manage to find some tiny point and use that to deride EH's staff as "fools" or to imply some great conspiracy to hide information from the public. Last week it was the tobacco tin. Oh right, the inclusion of that photo suddenly made the update worthless. You might not like it, but it's all archaeology and all has to be recorded. Should they only record finds from people they like? Because Atkinson was a cowboy, they shouldn't record anything he did? Sure, right. And now this week you're ripping into a great update because one bloody image is over-compressed?

If I sound angry, then that's because I am. These are my friends you're throwing personal insults at. They're not over-fed civil servants and bureaucrats sitting in an office somewhere - they're archaeologists working in a muddy field. If they had the time or means to come to this forum I'm sure it would be completely pointless anyway, as they'd only be spending all their time dealing with abuse about things over which they have no power.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index