669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jun 26, 2007, 17:13
whipangel wrote:
With the 'Special Edition' over the weekend and this one, we're now starting to get some better info.

Aye, though as slumpy says, "...shame the image/map is so crap, makes it hard to work it all out."

What are these fools at English Heritage up to, it's not rocket science to work out that the image/map on the first page of their sixth update would be illegible onscreen (and not much better printed out). Thankfully, however, they've dropped the Mickey Mouse format of their previous updates and are now publishing something with a bit more meat on it (I say 'bit more' because the info coming out really is vague and amateurish). Consequently, slumpy, even if I could I can't answer your question re: "Does this second bank mean two banks with a ditch between them..." Perhaps someone from English Heritage's esteemed 'Silbury Hill Conservation Project archaeological team' could address the question here... English Heritage, you have an audience of informed contributors on TMA waiting for clear and accurate information on your activities and finds at Silbury - do it!

And on the question of English Heritage's Silbury time capsule nonsense; I have written to the International Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (of which I am a Fellow) to inform them of English Heritage's totally inappropriate scheme to leave a time capsule within Silbury. I have urged IIC to put pressure on English Heritage to desist in this nonsense and to urged other conservation bodies to do the same.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index