This topic is locked

669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
slumpystones
769 posts

Re: Work continues
Jun 14, 2007, 17:34
goffik wrote:
I think it's a fair conclusion to jump to, to be honest!

Received exactly one week ago...

"Dear Mr Jesus-I-Wish-You-Would-Stop-Bugging-Me

Thank-you for your interest in the project.

It is unfortunate that we don't have any film clips available yet but now that the project has been going for a while we can see what the frequently asked questions are and will put these, and our answers, on-line for next week.

The updates are simply brief illustrated summaries of the previous weeks work.

This is a project which stimulates many debates about differing conservation-related issues, with cogent arguments for many positions. Our view on the 'time capsule' is that this does no harm to the Hill and is a means for schoolchilden and their families to engage with and become more aware of their local historic environment.

best regards

Silbury project archaeological team"

One week on and no Q&A, just lots of Q.

And in case anyone thought Mr Angry was going to let it lie, my reply to the time capsule evasive replies:

"I find your reply to the question of the time capsule stunning to say the least. To say it does no harm betrays a total lack of foresight. Its very existence will prove to be a problem many years into the future, something English Heritage should be aware of. The fact that EH are NOT aware of the potential problems involved is scary.

Leaving a Time Capsule within the hill is hardly going to cause problems with future archaeology, as the contents will be recorded and publicly available. Therefore, with foresight, no archaeologist will want to dig it up.

However, how about the local school which will take part, you really expect them not to take a regular interest? Let's see, there's 2017, 2027, 2037...need I go on? Every time an anniversary comes round, someone will suggest digging up their precious little capsule. But why bother, when the contents are recorded and well-known?

Pointless is about the best word I could come up with - the whole exercise smacks of self-satisfying actions by a few men-in-suits with little real planning or consideration for the future of the hill.

The main question should be "Who do EH think will be digging this up in the future, and why?"

This is a terrible decision in many ways. Lack of consultation with non-residents, lack of planning, lack of understanding, but probably most important and worst of all, an action with motives other than good. Satisfying a handful of children does not wash against the storm of protest from several thousand objectors.

I think you're going to find an awful lot of people turning up to voice their protest on the day. I hope you are prepared to be made to look extremely foolish."

It also occurred to me also that over 95% of the children contributing to the capsule won't even be living in the area in 10, 20, 30 years time anyway!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index