This topic is locked

669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Work continues
Jun 14, 2007, 16:16
I think it's a fair conclusion to jump to, to be honest!

What are we supposed to think? OK, the job in hand is more important, but with no information forthcoming, what are we supposed to think?

I had 2 prompt replies to my questions a couple of weeks back, which are as follows:

Q: "I read somewhere that a load of old tyres have been removed from the hill, and that whoever excavated or sealed it last would have been fully aware of them being there - is this true?"

A: "There were certainly tyres and other modern bits and pieces within the backfill of the cut made into the Hill to create the 1968 entrance ie outside of the door.

In contrast there have been no objects of any sort found in the aggregate imported onto site to fill the tunnel itself.
"

Q: "Thanks for getting back to me so promptly... [see? I am grateful!]

Just to satisfy my own curiosity - were there any photos taken of said tyres and other modern bits and pieces, and are they available for public consumption (ie me!)?"

A: "We don't have any photos of the tyres but here is a picture of some of the other finds. The two tobacco tins were found just inside the tunnel doorway and the other tin was in the backfill in front of the door."

I only asked this, as I said, for my own curiosity, and thought it a fairly minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but it got me to thinking... Shouldn't somebody from Skanska/NT/EH be recording all this?

It's a hugely important undertaking, and to not be taking photograpihic records at every turn is surely not a good thing! Even if it's just for historic records!

This is (allegedly, but I'm sure I'm not alone in my scepticism) the last time anyone's going to open, enter, fill and close Silbury Hill. What will history say? "We opened the door, found some baccy tins and a bit of antler, filled it then shut it!"?

Hardly worth the astronomical cost, IMO...

So... Those of use who live too far out for regular visits to the hill rely on this resource for our updates. If they don't supply them, we can only assume what is or isn't happening.

G x

PS - Then... Oh, yes, THEN... "they" (the "owners" of Silbury Hill) are "allowing" people (as mentioned previously in this thread) to climb up "their" hill to play some musical instruments! But don't let's lose that little one in this thread, eh? ;o)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index