669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ascorbic
ascorbic
15 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jun 27, 2007, 12:32
moss wrote:
I think Ascorbic that everyone is worried for Silbury's sake, we should in fact, be all on the same side, and working towards final completion of the closing of that wretched tunnel - done in the best manner possible. The arguments tend to rage on TMA, offerings at sites being an example at the moment. But in a way that is probably a good thing, open discussion leads to a better understanding of how people feel, and I think what does come out of all this turmoil is a realisation that our heritage belongs to all, it is a common 'wealth' that we all have to take responsibility for...... that is why the 'nitty-gritty' of each and every shovelful of chalk coming from the Hill is being argued over ;).
Moss

Oh, totally. And we *are* on the same side. That's my point. I know that the archaeologists care at least as much as anyone here about the hill. That's why they do the job! You'd not spend years getting degrees and masters and so forth, and then go into a job that is far from well paid unless you really care about it. I know that even the Skanska engineers were vetted in some way to ensure that they understand the significance of the place and have respect for it. This is what frustrates me - the talk on here seems to be based on a premise that somehow "we" are the ones that care about the hill, and that EH are on the "other side" and that the archs there have some kind of agenda and want to hide stuff from the public. This is simply untrue. We are all on the same side! TMA forum members do not have a monopoly on interest in the hill. The EH (and Skanska) workers are not cynical philistines out to do god knows what to the hill for their own unspecified ulterior motives.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index