669 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: the view from inside
Jul 28, 2007, 11:23
fool on the hill wrote:
upwards, like taking the mould away from an unstable jelly.
As to apportioning blame, I feel that is a pretty pointless exercise. Without doubt the root cause of this is the water seeping down through the hill causing failure and collapse of material around an exisiting large void. Were EH right to open the tunnel, in my view most definately so? Who could have predicited the horrendous wet weather we have had recently? But plenty of people (including some on here) did mute the posibility so should contingencies have been made? Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I hope it is not too late to put up 'the brolly' and to backfill as safely as possible.
We were allowed to take photographs in the hill but EH did request that we would not publish them on the interweb so I hope the above will give you a good image.

the fool

Hi, Thats an interesting account, you were very lucky to go into the tunnel, envy you somewhat.
As you say the rain has been both heavy and unpredictable, and apart from Silbury has caused untold damage elsewhere, but if water was leaking down from the top surely a 'brolly' before the work commenced, or even earlier still, would have countered god's need to drown the landscape and cause damage to Silbury. When you take tiles off the roof of a house its normal to put up plastic sheeting to protect the wooden rafters that are exposed.
Hindsight is indeed a great gift but the practical act of prevention would have made sure that the gods and unseasonal weather were'nt the winners. Lets hope Silbury can be backfilled safely for all concerned in the endeavour, I wish them well in what is turning out to be a dangerous undertaking.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index