The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?

102 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jul 19, 2010, 18:52
Re: Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?
Jul 19, 2010, 16:34
People are allowed to touch the stones during these visits. If we're suggesting that any and all contact is an issue due to the cumulative effect, then it's perfectly reasonable to draw a parallel.

I'm not sure that it is allowed actually, but if it is then it should be stopped, for the same reasons I've outlined elsewhere.

...my assertion is REASONABLE. There is no grounds for suspecting that a couple of people every few years climbing onto a 20 ton sarsen threatens to bring it toppling to the ground.

I think that assertion is both unreasonable and illogical. A couple of cars going over a structurally weak bridge every day might not bring it down right away but sure as beans are beans one car, one day, will bringing it down.

By the way, I may have missed it among all the other posts but I can't seem to find your answer to my question that, " If you can see another risk from one million tourists per year kept well away from the stones themselves please enlighten the board as to what that might be. ( http://themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?thread=58526&message=742044 )
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index