Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?

102 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Creyr
Creyr
114 posts

Re: Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?
Jul 01, 2010, 08:34
Last time I was at Stonehenge for summer solstice was 2002. Before that I was there in 83/4 - when the free festival was on.

My memory may be flawed but it seems to me that in the 80s there was alot less people and they were generally more interested in the stones and the solstice. In 2002 I really didn't like the number of people there (seem to remember something in the realm of 20,000) and it seemed that alot of them were there simply because they thought it was a cool place for a party. There was alot of drink, drugs, litter, rowdiness (England were playing in the quarter finals later that morning so there was a fair amount of football match vibe there)

Personally I hope EH does control access at solstice etc. I would like them to put the solstice car parking about five miles away and have a bus service only for those who cannot walk. A nice walk to a stone circle in time for dawn gets me in a mood just right for appreciating the the efforts of our ancestors ; )
And for those of us privileged enough to have a few bob (£14.50 to be precise) in our pockets - lets not forget the Stonehenge out of hours access visits.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/stonehenge/explore/stone-circle-access/

A good way to enjoy being in the stones without having to resort to self-mutilation (Mustard said:"Personally, I have more interest in chewing my own balls off than attending a solstice gathering at Stonehenge")
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index