Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?

102 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
AngieLake
16 posts

Re: Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?
Jul 01, 2010, 01:34
Personally, I think the knock-on effect of security at 2009's Solstice probably made this year's Solstice celebrations at Stonehenge a lot safer and happier and, if it carries on like this, the only problem they'll have is stone-climbing and [*especially*!] litter.
The tight security last year, especially the extra searching of bags [which I still find a trial!], stopping people taking in glass bottles [yes, I was one!] and sniffer dogs for drugs, may have made those people who'd rather continue to overdo the drugs/alchohol bit go to other sites this time? OK, so it was a work day on the 21st, but 15,000 less people .......?
I've only been to five since/inc 2001, and though 2009's was the busiest of those (I think), it seemed better-controlled than previous years, but at the same time allowing people to enjoy themselves. (The drone was a bit weird and OTT, but must have done it's job!)
I asked a friendly policeman, while we were waiting in line to go to Airman's Corner, whether the drone was being used this year, and he said 'Yes'. So it was a nice surprise to find it wasn't flying around distracting us and interfering after all. (Noticed it 'buzzing' the morning ceremony by the Heel Stone last year. Bet the guys in the control room were just enjoying the action!)
In fact, this year was the first time I'd been to Solstice with someone.. usually managing to enjoy myself solo (though I DO miss the Kings Drummers and their flaming torchlight procession! Blooming 'health and safety'!)

A good example of how it must have improved was my pal's comments, this week, on how much she'd enjoyed herself there. Both of us live in South Devon and are divorcees with grown-up kids. I'm into dowsing and stones, but she's not at all into anything new-agey. She lived near Amesbury for a time and is familiar with the crowds coming to Stonehenge but hadn't been there herself, so had no idea what to expect.
She said the atmosphere was really good, and I must admit we were happy just watching everyone enjoying themselves when we settled down. (Most of the time we were near the NNE inner bank of the henge during the small hours, so it may have been more laid-back there.) In fact, while walking around the circle area I thought it seemed a bit 'tame' after previous visits!
As regards smoking and drinking and taking drugs, I'd never tell anyone else what to do, but since giving up smoking about 5 years ago (and feeling much better for it) I've managed to resist lighting up at Stonehenge, and made do with a smallish bottle (plastic now!) of wine, and some water to see me through.. plus sweets and nibbles. There's no excuse for dropping litter all over the place, and if we all remember how privileged we are to be able to BE there for sunset and sunrise, surely we can forego some stuff just for one night and take our garbage home with us?
I'm not sure how they're going to stop people climbing on the stones. Every year we get the hand-outs telling us not to, and every year they're up there again. I suppose the only way to do it is to have a succession of 'performers', including the druids, etc., in the circle, and the public outside it. Maybe this was how it was originally... with Joe Public standing around the henge bank? (I'd like a closer view than that though!)

I honestly thought this year's was the beginning of more friendly and laid-back Solstices, so hope the organisers don't start trying to fix something that isn't broken. (Thanks to them btw for spending all that money on personnel to keep us safe!)

June, you must go next year, you'll love it! [Sorry this is so long-winded!]
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index