Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?

102 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
faerygirl
412 posts

Re: Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?
Jun 30, 2010, 16:25
Mustard wrote:
tjj wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Ah, I see your point. I agree, it would be impossible. What is a "genuine" pagan? A paid-up member of the Pagan Federation? Or a third generation hedge witch? Or a hammer-carrying Odinist? In fact, should Odinists be allowed access to Stonehenge, considering that the Norse tradition isn't native to these lands?

Simplest answer is not to be anal and uptight about it, continue to allow the solstice celebration, and encourage respectful behaviour.

I agree with the spirit of what you are saying but playing devil's advocate (again) am I correct in thinking there is some sort of waiting list to see the winter solstice sunrise at Newgrange. Slightly different as it would impossible to allow large numbers there.

Seeing the winter/summer solstice sunrise at an ancient site which was probably/possibly constructed for the event is indeed a great privilege and one I hope to witness at least once in my life (haven't done so yet).

If there was a genuine conflict of interests regarding access, I wouldn't see any problem with restricting "pagan" solstice celebrations to once every two years to allow others to enjoy it in their own way. Compromise is a beautiful thing. :)

I respect the rights of everyone to interact with our ancient sites in ways that are meaningful to them, but no single group has an exclusive hold over such places.

Especially as we are assuming the people that built Stonehenge had any kind of pagan beliefs as we see them today. These people may have been the greatest scientific minds of the day and only the mathematical elite were allowed there. Not sure todays hippy pagans (myself kinda included) would like it if we said "sorry, only the rich and famous are allowed for the solstice"! Its the same to say "only pagans" or "only druids".

It SHOULD be controlled; No glass bottles, restricted numbers, no climbing on the stones, don't drop litter etc but sitting around with some friends playing a bongo and smoking a spliff isnt exactly the end of the world! Probably more in keeping with what our ancestors were doing there than wearing a mac, weilding a camera and moaning about the drugs situation!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index