Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?

102 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?
Jul 01, 2010, 07:42
goffik wrote:
i think you're missing the point RE the litter, in that - yes, it's unsightly, unnecessary, rude and costly to clear up - but also it helps to make any notion of full open access a less likely prospect.

I'm not sure that's a reasonable conclusion to draw, but I guess we'll have to agree do differ on that point.

goffik wrote:
My main problem, as I also mentioned, is that open access to such a popular and accessible site is likely to attract the kinds of people you get at more accessible sites that don't respect the stones. The example of the nutter who carved the swastika into the Hellstone because he probably thought he was doing the right thing (ffs!) is a good one, I think, but also the ruins of abbeys, etc, where groups gather to get pissed up on blue booze, light fires, and carve their names into the stonework.

But on the other hand, is the solution to stick a fence around every ancient site in Britain?

goffik wrote:
Can you imagine, if every single person that visited, say, a piece of rockart, thought it would be OK for them to walk on it because they're only one person. Then times that by a thousand, or ten thousand, or a hundred thousand, or a million, (and so on, depending on the popularity of the site!)

Again, what's the solution? Fence them all off?

goffik wrote:
I don't think it's unreasonable to get hacked off with people climbing on them.

It's not that simple though, is it? People don't necessarily understand that they're potentially causing harm.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index