The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?

102 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 01, 2010, 07:26
Re: Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?
Jul 01, 2010, 07:22
Angie, I really enjoyed reading your personal account of summer solstice-eve and morning at Stonehenge. Thank you for encouraging me to go next year ... I'd like to think that I might but the truth is so many people would freak me out considerably.

Mustard said:
Personally, I have more interest in chewing my own balls off than attending a solstice gathering at Stonehenge, but if 20,000 people have a desire to celebrate at the stones, then I'm more than happy for them to do so. This made me laugh out loud yesterday as I was about to rush out the door (and wince slightly too). When I spoke of privilege I think I meant that to witness one of the marvels of our universe in conjunction with the skill of ancient peoples of whom we know so little, would give a wonderful sense of continuum, being a minuscule part in the cycle of life which our children and grandchildren will carry on.

I think many of the people in party mode may have opted for Avebury this year where I understand there was a terrific atmosphere, still very much in evidence when I was out there the next day. From the aspect of seeing the summer solstice alignment though, I don't think Avebury has any claim to such an event, except as Tiompan has talked about, perhaps at West Kennet longbarrow - whereas Stonehenge does. I think it was the late John North who suggested the midwinter sunset alignment at Stonehenge was just as important as the summer sunrise. I'll settle for that if I can, hopefully with considerably less people and a flask of coffee.

Best wishes and thanks again for your terrific post.
June
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index