The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?

102 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 01, 2010, 11:41
Re: Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?
Jul 01, 2010, 11:36
StoneGloves wrote:
Personally, I have more interest in chewing my own fingers off than attending a solstice gathering at Stonehenge.

In the chaos of modern life, as we race pell mell toward self destruction, it becomes necessary to decide what and where should be protected. By peacefully visiting Stonehenge, at the Solstice, during the 70's and early 80's I have opened the way for the present band of revellers, who should mainly be directed elsewhere; to Land's End or Worthy Farm, Pilton, perhaps.

I think you have succinctly summed up the situation SG. I was going to post something as an answer to Littlestone's very well written post giving a conservator's perspective - I hestiated though beacuse of this opening sentence ...

I don't follow your reasoning Mustard; it's as equally irrelevant that you, personally, are happy for 20,000 people to celebrate at Stonehenge, as it is for Joe Bloggs to be happy for 1,000 people a day to travel 100 miles an hour on our motorways.

I don't know Mustard from Adam but he at least injected a bit of humour into the debate and I can't see how the view he expressed has got anything to do with people driving dangerously on the motorways ... or even on the A4 past Silbury Hill for that matter. We may as well get into a discussion about the dangers of having a couple of beers then getting behind the wheel of a car, or using your mobile phone while driving ... both actions far more dangerous than smoking a bit of cannabis at Stonehenge or Avebury - unless of course you get straight into the driver's seat of a car.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index