Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?

102 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?
Jul 19, 2010, 14:43
Littlestone wrote:
It's an entirely reasonable assumption.

Unless you're structural engineer or a stone conservator, with firsthand knowledge of the material in question, that is a very unreasonable assumption.

You think it's an unreasonable assumption that one person isn't going to topple a 20-30 ton sarsen stone?

Littlestone wrote:
I'm neither I hasten to add, but general principles of conservation do apply - ie do nothing to an object that might possibly cause it damage. Prancing around on the lintels, as shown in the video above, constitutes a possible hazard to the monument (and in my book an unacceptably display of disrespect). It is also most certainly a health and safety issue - both to the clown who was doing the prancing and to anyone below him who would have been injured had he fallen on them.

I agree (as already stated) that it's undesirable. I disagree that it constitutes a risk to the stones. I'm not really interested in health and safety issues - they're not a conservation concern. As stated, I find the notion of "respect" too intangible to consider applying my standards to other people.

We're covering the same ground here and just repeating the same positions. Probably best if we just agree to differ!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index