The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?

102 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Edited Jun 30, 2010, 20:32
Re: Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?
Jun 30, 2010, 20:05
Mustard wrote:
I respect the rights of everyone to interact with our ancient sites in ways that are meaningful to them, but no single group has an exclusive hold over such places.

Compromise is one thing, and obviously a good thing, but by letting *everyone* do what they *think* is alright, you're leaving the door open for people like the fucknut who carved a swastika on the Hellstone dolmen some years back, or as has been mentioned here, those who, in .ess enlightened times, would chip bits off as souvenirs.

Yes, education is an excellent way to encourage respect for these places, but sometimes just lessening the chances of vandalism is a good start.

I used to be dead set against the fence around Stonehenge. I'd still love, as I'm sure would we all, to just be able to go and have a wander around at our leisure, day or night, and for free, but we've seen what happens at some of the less well known sites when idiots exert their right to do what they want there. The fence around SH is, I think, a self-perpetuating thing. If it wasn't there, people wouldn't be so desperate to go there the 2 days of the year they CAN go there and do what they like. But as it IS there, people really should consider it a privelege to be there, and respect the place and the guardians so these days of relative free access can continue. If people are disrespectful, then EH would and should have every right to pull the plug! The important thingis the protection of the stones, IMO.

G x
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index