Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?

102 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Stonehenge Solstice: is there a risk?
Jul 01, 2010, 06:19
goffik wrote:
Also nice to see we agree that it *is* a privelege to be allowed such relatively free access to the stones.

I'm not comfortable with this notion. It is not a privilege to have access to one's history and culture. If anything, it's a right. I think I'd prefer to say that we have a duty to respect the sites that we have access to.

goffik wrote:
The litterers abuse this, and really need to sort themselves out if this privilege is to continue.

I hate littering as much as the next person, but this is being blown out of proportion. It's unsightly and unnecessary, but it doesn't harm the stones.

goffik wrote:
I think that what people might forget is that if it's only one or two people standing on the stones, the damage would be minimal, but if it weren't discouraged, and if it were open access all year round, the damage would be noticeable with the amount of visitors Stonehenge gets. You only have to look at some of the more popular stones at Avebury for proof of human inflicted erosion.

In my previous post I mentioned the fence. Of course I'd be infinitely happier if the fence weren't there at all, or was a lot further outside the boundary of the stones, but it's something we have to live with, and be grateful that *someone* is looking after the stones. How successfully they're doing that is another matter altogether! ;)

Well, I'm not so sure. I think the reason Avebury suffers is because it's been turned into A Major Tourist Attraction. Likewise Stonehenge needing (not convinced on that point!) its fence. In many ways, such things become self-fulfilling prophecies.

I suspect that the best answers will arise if we start from a different mindset where free and unrestricted access is the baseline. Different problems will arise with different solutions, but the guiding principle would be a damn site better. A stone circle surrounded by a fence and security guards? Is that what we really want for our heritage?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index