Jesus I despise Brexit.

Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jul 31, 2018, 11:15
Re: Jesus I despise Brexit.
Jul 31, 2018, 11:14
It crosses my mind that had the Europeans been as small minded as many Brexiters they'd demand a "cancellation fee" for all the unnecessary expense they've been put to. But they haven't. We belong in Europe, they're our people and we're theirs.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 31, 2018, 11:26
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and for the information, much appreciated. Six months to stop this madness - somehow I doubt there is time.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Jul 31, 2018, 11:42
tjj wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and for the information, much appreciated. Six months to stop this madness - somehow I doubt there is time.

I'm currently on a pendulum that swings between "No deal / crash out" and "Brexit will be cancelled" (roughly every three hours, or depending on what article I've read last).

I don't think there's time to negotiate anything that might be described as a "good deal" any more (assuming such a thing was ever possible... and I have my doubts about that). And whether or not the UK crashes out or cancels is entirely dependent upon the internal machinations of the tory party, the whims of a handful of DUP MPs, and the deep and mystifying apathy of Corbyn's Labour Party.

So basically... flip a coin!
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Jul 31, 2018, 12:03
I'm kind of thinking along the same lines - although I believe the 'crash out' seems the more likely.

Just as a point of interest - given that the only way I could see us remaining in the EU would be if that course was 'legitimised' by a second referendum - does anyone know how long it would take to put this in place (frame question, arrange date/polling centres etc)?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 31, 2018, 12:31
Depends if there's a will to do it I think. There are no constitutional requirements as to timing I think - as referendums aren't really part of our constitution.

With the PM saying there'll be no second referendum under any circumstances and as you say, Labour's unfathomable apathy, it's not looking too hopeful yet.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 31, 2018, 12:47
tjj wrote:
Six months to stop this madness - somehow I doubt there is time.

I'm thinking it's more likely that they don't want to stop it, sadly! :( Because they can, and they know they can, and a second referendum would force them, should it come out in favour of Remain. So they won't. I'm hoping I'm wrong. Fingers crosssed! :)

G x
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jul 31, 2018, 19:27
goffik wrote:
tjj wrote:
Six months to stop this madness - somehow I doubt there is time.

I'm thinking it's more likely that they don't want to stop it, sadly! :( Because they can, and they know they can, and a second referendum would force them, should it come out in favour of Remain. So they won't. I'm hoping I'm wrong. Fingers crosssed! :)

G x

All the official govt/civil service stuff is flatly stating that we will have left by next summer.

But meanwhile there has been a recent noticeable shift in polling (I know the polls don't prove anything, before anyone says anything) to the effect that now a majority - by referendum comparison a significant one - of the populace want a people's vote on the "three options" of no deal/govt's deal/remain).
https://news.sky.com/story/public-opinion-is-shifting-sharply-against-brexit-sky-data-poll-reveals-11453220
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 31, 2018, 19:40
three options of no deal/govt's deal/remain

But being unprincipled they wont's allow that (the first two would be split leaving Remain an easy winner even if it was only 48%).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Will of the people?
Aug 10, 2018, 11:25
In the referendum, just over 70% of 18-24s voted Remain.

Now 82% of 18-24s support staying a member of the EU.
lawrence2
106 posts

Re: Will of the people?
Aug 10, 2018, 17:26
Nice to know people eventually learn their lesson.
Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index