Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Jesus I despise Brexit.
Jul 20, 2018, 08:34
Robert Harris
? @Robert___Harris

Honda at Swindon receives 2m components per day thanks to free movement of goods. After a no deal Brexit, to store the minimum 9 days' worth of components on site, they would need to erect the 3rd-largest building on Earth: 300,000 sq m = 42 football pitches. (source: FT 26.6.18)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 20, 2018, 09:52
Jul 20, 2018, 09:50
nigelswift wrote:
Robert Harris
? @Robert___Harris

Honda at Swindon receives 2m components per day thanks to free movement of goods. After a no deal Brexit, to store the minimum 9 days' worth of components on site, they would need to erect the 3rd-largest building on Earth: 300,000 sq m = 42 football pitches. (source: FT 26.6.18)

I can't see Honda staying in Swindon after a no deal Brexit. The town is already semi-depressed with lots of town centre shops closed or closing (e.g. House of Fraser) so to loose a major employer would have a devastating impact.

I heard the strange and cheering (not) news this morning that the PM of Ireland wants to stop Britain using Irish air space in retaliation to fishing restrictions.
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/irish-prime-minister-warns-british-flights-could-be-banned-from-irish-airspace-despite-the-raf-policing-irish-air-space/
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Jul 20, 2018, 10:52
The petition is now well past 150,000 signatures - please sign and share widely.

Petition: Rescind Art.50 if Vote Leave has broken Electoral Laws regarding 2016 referendum

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/223729
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 20, 2018, 11:43
Thought that might get you going June. The people of Swindon who voted Brexit would have done well to pop up and look at the site of the Longbridge factory.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 20, 2018, 12:32
I remember from my days of working just outside Swindon (in a peaceful little town called Lechlade) how much a part of the local landscape Honda was.

Not only in physical size, but as a huge employer.

So many local people worked there in some capacity. A great many smaller villages in the area must have had similar ties to the factory, and as such it would have been a great support to the local economy.

Without it, I imagine lots of people will likely have to look further afield for employment, resulting in having to move away, harming the communities and stunting growth within.

This is only an example of one such company in this situation across the country. It will be a devastating blow if Honda were to move parts of its production overseas.

G x
Gladwin
Gladwin
402 posts

Jul 20, 2018, 13:23
And all so that wankers like Jacob Rees-Mogg can carry on avoiding tax.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 20, 2018, 13:39
Yup! :(

Dang it, Mods - can you add a "like" functionality to this forum? :D

G x
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 20, 2018, 20:45
goffik wrote:
I remember from my days of working just outside Swindon (in a peaceful little town called Lechlade) how much a part of the local landscape Honda was. Not only in physical size, but as a huge employer.

So many local people worked there in some capacity. A great many smaller villages in the area must have had similar ties to the factory, and as such it would have been a great support to the local economy.

Without it, I imagine lots of people will likely have to look further afield for employment, resulting in having to move away, harming the communities and stunting growth within.

This is only an example of one such company in this situation across the country. It will be a devastating blow if Honda were to move parts of its production overseas.

G x

Thanks for this post Goffick. I am not really a 'car person' and there is a part of me that would like to see the Honda factory dismantled and turned into woodland. The other part of me (and I couldn't say which is the better part) supports the Honda workers and their jobs. Just as I supported the miners back in the mid 1980s. Most of those mines haves gone now and fossil fuels are being phased out but that was the future which couldn't be foreseen back in the 1980s. Perhaps in 40 years time people will return to bicycles and other means than owning a car of getting from A to B. That is the future though - history will record the impact of brexit, global warming and over population.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 21, 2018, 07:19
Tweet of the week by Danny

Jacob Rees-Mogg
Today's aggressive comments by Messrs Varadkar and Barnier show why we are right to be leaving the mafia-like European Union.

Danny Blanchflower Retweeted Jacob Rees-Mogg
You are a bloody crackpot

As predicted, from now on we're going to hear the whole bloody mess isn't due to Brexiters it's due to Europe's failure to co-operate
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 22, 2018, 11:49
"The people who have least will be hurt most"
- John Major, this morning (a decent man whose a relic from the time when Tories told fewer bare faced lies).
Pages: 54 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index