Tidying up offerings

304 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
megadread
1202 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
May 31, 2010, 21:25
Creyr wrote:
A friend asked me to go with a bin bag to Long Meg to tidy up all the ritual offering detritus. He had passed by there and said it was really excessive but he didnt have anything to put the rubbish in. He said the thorn tree was particularly badly adorned. So I went up there today - just48 hours after he had been there - armed with bin bag and a knife to cut loose the stuff in the trees.

Unfortunately the farmer had beaten me to and and has tidied up the thorn tree once and for all (he has cut it down and left a wee stump).

I know Im preaching to the converted here, but please, if you do know any leaver of offerings types, tell them this cautionary tale.
The farmer is in his rights to cut the tree down and I sympathise with his point of view. Im not happy tho' as i like trees alot more than i like the kind of people who leave (well intentioned, spiritually imbued) tat tied in them.

I still managed to collect a half bin bag of strange plasticy fairy tiara type things and a pottery cow with crop circle markings on it (!). Also retreived a camping gas cylinder from a rabbit hole under a stone.Hmmmm....

Please encourage all your new ager friends to leave offerings that disappear into thin air immediately ( a song or a prayer perhaps...)

Thankyou
Rant over

Clairex

Leaving anything behind in the countryside, in the city, in the park etc etc is littering, simple.
Balloons released at football matches, Chinese lanterns, "offerings", all the same, litter for someone else to deal with, take responsibility for your own actions, leave nothing but footprints.
Not rocket science is it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index