Tidying up offerings

304 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
May 21, 2010, 14:28
Littlestone wrote:

And until we all agree on that it might, perhaps, be best to see sites (within our own cultural tradition*) as being 'ours' only while we are there. In other words, apart from having a duty to be respectful to others who may be visiting a site at the same time as ourselves, we shouldn't deposit anything there that might offend those who follow (or anything that might damage the site) and we shouldn't take any material features (however small) away from a site when we leave.

I really struggle with this issue. On the one hand, I detest seeing sites littered with plastic crap, but on the other hand, we'd have no stone circles if our ancestors had adopted this philosophy and left woods and glades undisturbed. However much we debate the philosophy, I think most of it comes down to a degree of common sense, which most reasonable people should be able to agree on.

One other point (unrelated to the quoted post). I don't feel comfortable seeing references to "pagans" as a generic group. It's such a loose term that it's almost meaningless.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index