Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
May 23, 2010, 20:32
thesweetcheat wrote:
Resonox wrote:
I don't know...but surely hoarding something ravished from the earth can't have any beneficial qualities, either for the earth or the holder as it is in effect keeping "stolen" items and they are not complete as they have been shattered from a whole.Returning them as an "offering" might help towards the replenishing of the earth's fragile resources.

Surely that's taking the argument a little far? The bricks that built my house were made from clay taken from the earth but I'm not planning on knocking it down and scattering the dust back over the fields. No doubt the laptop I'm typing this on has been made using the earth's resources.

The fact is that we are a selfish, destructive species, but unless we're all going to revert back to a palaeolithic lifestyle, there's a limit to what we can do about it. Returning crystals to the earth (where? how?) doesn't seen particularly worthwhile.

Succinctly put tsc, Resonox's post was directed at me I think but I chose not to answer it as the point I had been making was that instead of (metaphorically) 'shouting' at people who leave stuff at ancient sites we should educate them - which is what this forum does to a large extent. For example until relatively recently I didn't have a view about metal detecting - now I do.

Likewise, a few years back I started a collection of crystals and became interested in their 'healing' qualities. Now I realise that to obtain something by depleting the earth's resources would mean the object in question couldn't possibly hold those qualities and it is just 'us' again projecting our own agenda's onto inanimate objects (as with offerings).
As you rightly said though, there is no point in returning them to earth just for the sake of it - any more than returning gold, silver and other precious stones; it would be dug up in a couple of thousand years perhaps and end up in a museum.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index