tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
May 30, 2010, 22:07
faerygirl wrote:
Paulus wrote:
Hi Faerygirl -

Wot's even worse - and they've been growing at an incredible rate over the last 30 years - are these awful, noisy, bright metal objects covering the lanes and roadsides just about everywhere, parked-up, people gerrin' out, eating their damn crispy packets, plastic bottled water (organic o' course - it sez so on the tin!), choci-bars, chips - and the damn ignorant freaks who keep gerrin new ones are wanting bigger and wider roads for 'em, so they can get even closer to the megaliths. These dreadful daily offerings (you can't get rid of 'em it seems, cluttering the wilderness increasingly as laziness infests folks' legs!) seemingly keep breeding. And the truth of the matter is: the people who use these things are the people who leave all their driblets. The solution's simple: ban them - cars that is! Then, less & less crap will be left at sites cos the lazy people (those who leave the crap) would have to walk there. It'd work.

Wot d' y' reckon? ;)

I LOVE IT! Stuff 'em I say. Especially those that come by coach. Great swarms of tourists messing up the place with their footprints and "is that it?" attitude. There was a coach at Grimspound when I was there recently (why you would go there on a tour is beyond me, the place felt terrible and look terribly bleak!) and there were crisp wrappers and people taking a leak everywhere! Now THERES a place that could do with brightening up with some ribbon...

;)

I think we would have to agree to differ on this one faerygirl. I don't own a car and while in Cornwall back in April I either walked or caught a bus to the places I visited - this meant of course that I didn't get to see all the things I wanted to see, couldn't find Lanyon Quoit for example though I have lots of photographs of the old tin mine which is part of the same landscape.

Last year however, I fulfilled a long held dream to visit Orkney and Shetland - I chose to go by coach with a group of people I had never met before. Yes, the coach parked near the Ring of Brodgar and Skara Brae and no doubt if I ever get to Callanish it would be the same way. I'll be the first to say not ideal, however, probably less harmful to the environment than the same number of people getting there by car. Everyone in my group behaved respectfully at each place we visited, though one man got a rollicking from his wife for treading on some heather at the Ring of Brodgar.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index