304 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited May 23, 2010, 20:32
Re: Tidying up offerings
May 23, 2010, 17:40
The very desire for monuments to remain undisturbed by any form of offering is an imposition of a particular value set onto others.

I see where you're coming from when it's on a one-to-one basis and there's nothing else in the equation. But look at it this way: if just you and me are on the beach (a towel's throw away from each other) and you only want to listen to the waves and the seabirds, while I want to turn my radio up full blast, we're pretty much on an equal 'moral' footing. If there are three of us there then I guess it comes down to a democratic decision on what the majority want. However, the majority can be, and often are, wrong. If two out of the three opt for loud music when one of them knows it's damaging to everyone's hearing (or disturbing the seabirds) that too has to be taken into consideration. In other words, if everyone here says leaving organic matter or t-lights inside West Kennet Long Barrow is OK but one person says no, it's not OK, because the former attracts vermin and the later (through smoke and wax) damages the monument then that, surely, should be the winning argument?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index