Silbury Hill »
Trespass on SSSI sites

380 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5290 posts

Re: rules
Sep 05, 2012, 13:15
Ok then, this is what I've inferred you mean. If you don't want to clarify then how can anyone know what you're really thinking?

who? = anyone who feels like it, including me. Except that I rely on everyone else not doing it, so that I can do it.
Why? = because I can go on these places without damaging them. And I'm really interested in them, unlike most of the visitors.

If everyone visiting applied those two answers to themselves there'd be a lot of people sitting in skara brae and climbing silbury, surely you can see that?
So why aren't there? Because people love rules? No! It's because people respect the monuments themselves and they don't want them ruined.

You depend on those people that "keep the rules" so you don't feel guilty, because their care for the monuments and ability to act in an unselfish, future-considering way enables you to be one of the few people who can do it so then claim you're not damaging it (much).

That is totally hypocritical, surely. You hate the rules (man) but you rely on them at the same time.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index