Trespass on SSSI sites

380 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mustard
1043 posts

Re: piffle
Sep 05, 2012, 12:52
Rhiannon wrote:
But what's wrong with having different opinions? We don't have to call a halt to the discussion at all.

I think you want to stop the discussion because you don't want to elaborate on the who and why.

If you don't think it's black and white, then why not explain your more nuanced greyish view?

You might educate a few other people even if you can't change poor Nigel's mind.

And by provocatively speculating about reasons why I may not wish to continue debating, you're demonstrating exactly why I don't see much point in continuing - if a discussion's not productive, then there's no point, is there?

For the record, the very question of "who and why" is a leading, straw-man argument. It suggests the need for further definition and rules, which is entirely contrary to the point I was making - as Nigel well knows. I'm sure, for example, that there are people already visiting Skara Brae without permission. The world hasn't come to an end. Thousands of visitors haven't started flocking there after dark. The monument hasn't been damaged. By all means, debate amongst yourselves "who and why". Personally, I'm quite happy with the status quo, where rules aren't rigidly and blindly adhered to.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index