Trespass on SSSI sites

380 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
VBB
558 posts

Re: Trespass on SSSI sites
Sep 02, 2012, 06:56
The Eternal wrote:
I can honestly say that I didn't notice any significant damage through people going on it. Yes, there was some flattened and worn grass, but that was it. Maybe it's different now, but I haven't set foot on it since.

Thanks TE, you have made an important point - we here are not likely to forget the terrible collapse of 2000 but who would know visiting it now? The Hill seems perfectly OK so why the fences and signs?

Silbury Hill was closed to the public in 1974 following a leap in visitor numbers after the M4 opened resulted in serious erosion. Photographs reveal new lines of ascent created and the repair section reveals not just a top up to the path but a massive lozenge shaped repair on the south front and a section of the summit. The erosion has had to be tackled twice since, both demonstrating the amount of continuing erosion despite the ban and the fences, and highlighting the difficulties in sourcing the right sort of chalk. Moreover let's not overlook that the monument is covered in archaeology vulnerably located near the surface.

As I said elsewhere, if visitors knew the story they might think twice.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index