Trespass on SSSI sites

380 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: feelings vs facts
Sep 04, 2012, 13:09
Not sure where to aim this but in all this debating something seems to have been forgotten and that is IT is a SSSI, which means according to me anyway, that it is a defined landscape in need of protection of people's heavy boots on the delicate wild plants. Man versus the landscape, I always choose the flora and fauna to protect, though it could be argued that the surface of Silbury was originally chalk, but according to a recent survey by English Nature Silbury is defined as 'UNFAVOURABLE RECOVERING."

http://www.english-nature.org.uk/citation/citation_photo/1002057.pdf

Which surely begs the behaviour of us, the human species, to keep off the grass and allow nature to take its course, even if it does mean sheep grazing, I think the bunnies will have to be shot for their burrow making capacity though, reproduction elsewhere will account for numbers lost....

I suspect site boards will have to be part of the picture, but making people responsible for the natural environment is also important and maybe help the general consensus of keeping off the mound......
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index