380 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Slightly OT: The Gop
Sep 03, 2012, 21:50
thesweetcheat wrote:
I've never climbed Silbury, nor do I have a burning desire to do so. But I have climbed onto the top of The Gop in North Wales, the largest artificial mound in Wales (I think). The Gop is a huge cairn, very badly damaged by antiquarian excavations into its top. But it's still huge. I imagine some people will view climbing this as being no different to Silbury, but I mention it by way of contrast (note the fieldnotes, etc).

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/136/gop.html

Silbury often has people sunbathing on it!!! nevermind all the other coming and goings, the path going from the north is so well worn that it shows the amount of people who go up, it's clearly too strong a pull for anything to really stop them, so just cut your losses and make a way up like sanctuary said, just like it had been for years [ before they stopped people ], maybe have someone there to make sure that no one damages anything, it's the same with stonehenge let the people in and let the people employed there watch for damage and litter [ because we know that in all the people who come, there would be idiots ], same with newgrange and maes howe, these places should be protected, but they should also be free to visit, thoughout the year.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index