4670 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Aug 16, 2012, 23:41
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
rockhopper wrote:
What I want to know Sancters, is whether you ever went back. And if so, what was it like?

No I never have Rocky but have often thought about it. It will be interesting if I ever do (I have to find it first again though) because this time I would have preconcieved ideas about the place whereas before I didn't.
Thanks for asking anyway.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/8855/cist_cerrig.html ?

No that wasn't it George this was a mound, quite a largish one and observed from around 100 yards away, the closest I got to it. I've just been looking on the map and I think we would have been on the A487 and definitely heading east and about 5 miles from Porthmadog. We parked up on the right and the site was on the left of the road a few hundred yards back to the west and wooded.

Just been trying to locate a barrow in woodland in that area, as I want to know where this is now too!
Can't seem to find anything, but I am looking at landranger maps on my phone so it's
a bit fiddly. Any other clues Roy?

Just trying to remember as this was over 40 years ago :-(
The track looked like it was once a road on an estate because it had an impressive entrance I recall with brick/stone piers which may at one time had gates on them. At the end of the track through the wood were two standing stones about 8ft tall, one either side of the track. There was nothing affixed to them they were totally free standing. All I saw beyond them was the burial mound which I'm estimating as being about 10ft tall and maybe 25ft diameter. I didn't stay around long enough to notice anything else and kept looking back over my shoulder as I hurried back. Seems quite ridiculous now as I've never experienced anything like that since. I guess I'd have to drive down that road again to find it but things could easily have changed since then although a recognised burial mound should still be in place. It may be that we were further away from Porthmadog than I'm estimating but we would have been on that road. It's gonna bug me now!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index