The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Unexplained uneasy feeling

162 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Jul 05, 2011, 19:47
No, I must admit I haven't. Not that couldn't be readily explained by circumstances at the site... e.g barbed wire, 'keep out' signs, being overlooked by houses etc. The nearest I've got was spending a night at Segsbury, where something hurtled past the car early morning, not hanging around to be identified. Or wild camping at Glaslyn, Pumlumon, leaving the tent at dead of night to confront 'intruders' only to find no-one there. The banshee wind howling in the guyropes plays havoc which the brain which needs to apply a 'template' to everything.

I'm a firm believer that everything has an explanation... even if we aren't advanced enough mentally to know what it is yet. I believe that if it occurs on this planet it must be of this planet..... natural. Having slept upon battlefields where men suffered the most ghastly deaths I'm quite happy with my current belief that there is no such thing as a ghost. Which is not to say that I couldn't be convinced otherwise, however. The same applies to gods/God. Provide the evidence and I'll have no problem with saying 'I was wrong'. However the evidence is not convincing to me. At the current time.

I would suggest there was every possibility that we possessed much enhanced senses in our previous 'more primitive' states which have slowly diminished through lack of use, heightened senses that some have randomly (?) retained. Which perhaps may be termed 'extra sensory perception'.... sensing people creeping up behind (essential when hunting), feeling magnetic variations as a bird (apparently) does. Changes in barometic pressure, even.... animals running for cover before a distant storm. Not really 'extra sensory'.. just that we're a shadow of what we once were in respect of our relationship with our habitat. Some may well still retain this 'connection' to nature - not saying I do, but I would like to think my willingness - indeed apparent need - to hang out on mountain tops for hours on end at least signifies I'm very comfortable with our landscape.

It's therefore perhaps confusing that my (very Christian) dad did once completely freak out at Chestnuts longbarrow (Kent) when very reluctantly dowsing... only to get a very positive reaction..... whereas I was sure mine was not kosher. Perhaps I was trying too hard and simply subconsciously manufactured what I was after? We are nowhere near understanding the complexities of the human brain - mine is often a swirling mass of contradictory shite - so any definitive positions are, frankly, ludicrous. One day we may get there and conquer all our fear and doubt.

However if this comes at the price of also losing our sense of wonder, achievement and gobsmackness at nature, I for one think it will be too high a price to pay.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index