Unexplained uneasy feeling

162 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
postman
848 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Jul 05, 2011, 09:04
Barbrook 1

It was an early morning (as it usually is when I'm stone hunting) about ten years ago, I was rapidly working my way through the big orange book/bible, and it was the barbrook trios turn.
I was on my own with only my mountain bike, and my camera.
I was sitting with my back to one of the larger stones facing into the circle looking away from the road and off across the moors, I had been there about ten minutes when slowly an uneasy feeling took me over, it was the first time it had happened in adult life, and I was only mildly freaked out, so I continued to sit.
Then for no reason other than I just had to, I looked behind me, about a hundred yards away was an old man in a long brown coat carrying two plastic bags . He was about a hundred yards from the road and was walking in the direction from across the moor, where did he come from? I thought, and why doesnt he use the pavement by the road, surely that would be easier.

I turned my attention back to the stones, or tried to, the uneasy feeling was growing, it felt as though something bad had happened here, that something was looking at me with disdain, I did not feel welcome.
Five more minutes and I just had to go, I jumped on the bike and raced off down the path, missing out Barbrook 2 in favour of the further Barbrook 3.
All seemed fine at the smaller stone circle, I was elated to have found such a wispy site, amongst the dark forbidding moor. The bad feeling had gone, so much that I felt I could try and find Barbrook 2, so I did.
On my way back to the car, I had to pass the stone circle that weirded me out so much, I felt like a child passing a supposed haunted house.
It was a long time till I plucked up the courage to go back, this time it was afternoon and I had the whole family for support (but they didnt know that)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index