162 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Jul 05, 2011, 14:54
[quote="Sanctuary"]

Maybe it's me but I had another experience once but certainly not a frightening one but again it involved a dog.
I competed in competitive Obedience for some 30 years with my Border Collies and was quite successful. We went to a show near London which was alongside the Thames. In the lunch break we were invited to a fellow competitors bungalow alongside the river. On the way back to the showground along the towpath the ladies were chatting away so I decided to get a wriggle on and go ahead because I had my Jaff with me who was only 6 months of age and it was the first time he was allowed onto a showground.
I went through the gated entrance to the showground (it was a rugby club) and headed in the direction where the Obedience rings were and all the competitors were gathering. As I got closer two people came out of the crowd and were walking toward us. Jaff, just being a friendly puppy, ran to greet them but I was horrified to see him jump up on this womans hooped dress (yes a hooped dress!). Running over to him while at the same time apologising I was then able to see the two people clearly. I thought they must have been going to a fancy dress party because the lady had this crinilean (sp) dress on that hooped right out at the bottom. She had face skin like china with very dark eyes and was wearing a bonnet type thing on her head. The bloke looked like a butler wearing one of those black suits with tails and a winged collar to his shirt.
Anyway without further ado, the 'lady' lifted up her hooped dress to the front and knelt down so that Jaff she could cuddle Jaff. I'd reached her by then and Jaff was sat in front of her and she was holding his head by its sides in her hands and looking intently into his eyes. She looked up and said to me...'I don't know what you are going to do with this dog but whatever it is he will reach the very top as he is 'special'. Take good care of him as he will open many doors for you and everyone will know of him.'

Now the spooky bit. Are you ready?

By now my wife Lyn and the couple we had lunched with were right behind me so I turned and said, 'Come and listen to what this lady is saying about Jaff.

'What lady' she said, and when I turned around there was nobody there!! They had vanished! For once in my like I was speechless. I wasn't frightened just totally mystified. Lyn had a good laugh and made the usual comments like 'I want what he had to drink' but I spent the rest of the day going from person to person that I knew on the showground asking if anyone had seen this couple as they had emerged from within the crowd. The 'butler' never said a word but was very pastie faced and I assumed he was wearing face make-up to go with his costume.

That's it. I'll never forget it but it has never bothered me. But I know it happened.

Jaff went on to reach the top and competed in Championship C. He was a stunning Border Collie and a very rare one as he was pure-bred yet gold and white. Through him I got introduced to many top people which in turn lead to introductions to 'names' in the sheepdog trialling world that I had always wanted to be a part of. My first of 8 books I had published on the bloodlines of the Border Collie featured Jaff and by so doing everyone got to know of him. In his 15th year he sired a dog called Flynn (Jaffson Black Magic) who was to place joint first in the 2009 Obedience World Cup at Crufts.

Jaff took his last breath in my arms at 18 years of age after never having a days illness in his life and lies peacefully in our garden . He really was my special boy.

Sorry to ramble but that's how it was and again something I will never forget.

Roy
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index