Unexplained uneasy feeling

162 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Jul 09, 2011, 15:11
Scary story, it restores my 'faith' in ghosts and witches, especially when two people have had the same experience. Do malevolent spirits occupy stones I wonder?

AngieLake wrote:
ocifant wrote:
I've documented my experiences at Creeg Tol here previously. But of course, a search doesn't turn anything up at the moment.

Basically, I had a very strong sense of dread when approaching Creeg Tol from the east. A threatening evil malevolence. I didn't hang around!

Though on subsequent visits the feeling has substantially lessened. It's still there for me, but very much in the background, and never as strong as that first time.

While reading through all these spine-tingling reports I've been wondering if Ocifant would mention Creeg Tol, as it is the one site that immediately sprang to mind as being very scary.
(We'd exchanged correspondence on this subject before, via Meg P, hadn't we Ocifant?)
I'd stumbled across this weird little circle while straying off the path from the roadside kissing gate to Boscawen Un back in March 2004, and climbed down the bank around the western side of the large rock on which is the 'Giant's Footprint', or 'Footsteps', to investigate.

For several years [but not as much lately] I have dowsed for original ritual movement in circles and other ancient sites, as well as hidden archaeological features, but before I took my rods out I hurriedly photographed and sketched the location of the low stones. They didn't appear to be that ancient, but one of them was green and evil-looking. The small circle was tucked away close to the towering rock face in which dark crevices lower down gave the strange impression that something evil lurked inside, watching me. Behind me were more low natural rocks and even these emanated 'evil' after I'd climbed onto one to photograph the circle from a higher vantage point. Telling myself not to be silly, I thought I'd try to quickly dowse inside the circle but maybe I was shaking too much, as one of the L-shaped rods slipped from my hand into the covering of long dry grasses inside it. The rod was coppery-bronze and the grasses were the same colour, and for the life of me I couldn't find that slim rod. Even trying to dowse with the other was no help.
The area I was in was hidden from the track and anyone could have passed by on their way to Boscawen Un without seeing me. The only way would be if someone had, like me, walked across the top of the rock to investigate what was down below. Panic began to increase and I wondered if I could leave the area by walking towards the east around the base of the rock, but there didn't appear to be any way out in that direction through the thick undergrowth. Suddenly I just *had* to get away, and scrambled through the overhanging brambles back up the way I'd come. I put as much distance between myself and that spooky area as I could.

I've been to hundreds of sites all over Britain and S.Ireland, yet never had a nerve-wracking experience like that.

I should mention a few facts: on the top there are two main outcrops of rock and the one nearest Boscawen Un also has a water-holding basin with a lip above a ledge overlooking the site of the circle to its right. (An ideal place for a 'baptism'?)
The site also lies under/near overhead telephone wires, so did any energy from them contribute to the eerie effect?
Only about 1/2 a mile along the road is Crows an Wra, or Witches Cross. It occurred to me that a coven practicing black magic had been using this secluded site, either recently or in years gone by.
When the site was cleared a couple of years ago it looked a lot less threatening, though I still won't go down there.
Only on Tuesday 5th July 2011 I looked down upon the circle but the bracken and undergrowth has grown back up and only the tips of a couple of the tallest stones can be seen. I looked to see how people might access it more easily than myself and there appeared to be a flattened track through the vegetation close to the rocks leading from the eastern upper slope of the outcrop with the basin. I did start to walk down it, but hadn't the courage to go all the way! (It would have meant jumping off a low part of the rock and I imagined the struggle I'd have had climbing back up again at my age!)
It still spooks me!

As for dogs acting strangely... I remember after a group of us dowsed a site with permission of the landowners, they came to see the results and their springer spaniel adapted a 'pointing' pose, staring intently at the man who'd triggered the operation by telling us his ancient [really ancient!] ancestors once lived there. A rather strange individual and no relation to the landowners. That was spooky.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index