tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Jul 11, 2011, 17:56
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:

PS: If anyone wants to start a topic about toxic places I would suggest they are all relatively modern - nuclear power stations, motorways etc, etc.

Last year at the Loch leven nature reserve despite numerous nest boxes being provided (by humans ) and plenty more natural , one pair of blue tits chose instead to build their nest in one of the metallic cigarette butt holders . Kestrels love motorways and there are probaly more kestrel nests adjoining motorways than rivers . Then again birds don't have concepts like genius loci.

The point I was making (sorry, not very articulate in the morning) is that in a couple of thousand years into the the future there may well be places with negative 'bad' energy that perhaps had in the past been something like a nuclear power station. I can promise you motorways are toxic even if we are not aware of it as we hurtle along in our cars (only I don't own one) - I live quite close to the M4 and sometimes use a footbridge to get across the motorway to the peaceful downland the other side. The last time I did this I ended up choking and was unable to speak for a few minutes.

Going back to the question of whether spirits inhabit stones; as you said in earlier post, 'define spirit'. For example, no one seriously believes that the head-stones in cemeteries hold the souls of the people buried under them. If on the other hand the word spirit is used to describe an unseen energy field which may seem dense and heavy (or the reverse) then yes, I'm open to the possiblity that stones positioned in certain places can act as a conduit for certain energies (feel-good/feel-bad).

My point , poorly articulated was that animals , often seen as arbiters of what might be considered natural good taste , along with the odd noble savage , don't necessarily agree on what we consider areas that might give off bad "vibes " .
I'm sure in the future there will be plenty of spots judged both good and bad to humans "sensitive " to such things but am also sure that animals will continue to disagree .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index