Unexplained uneasy feeling

162 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Aug 16, 2012, 13:25
Dunnydeer, Nov 2008.

The first site of a days RSC spotting in Aberdeenshire. I'd driven down in the morning from where I was staying on the Black Isle, very excited at the prospect of seeing sites like Cothiemuir and Sunhoney which I'd read so much about and gazed longingly at pictures of for years.
I can't remember why I chose Dunnydeer as the first site to see, but it was with excited anticipation that I parked the car up in the layby and set off up the hill toward the stone circle.

I stayed close to the field boundary when walking up, got to the top of the field and then continued to follow the fence around, so actually ended up approaching the circle from 'the back' (but which is actually the 'front', if that makes any sense at all).
I saw one of the flankers peeping over the long grass and made my way toward the circle.

I got to about 10 feet from the circle, which was now in full view, when I suddenly experienced a bolt of fear go through me. It was completely unexpected and as I stood there I began to feel a rising panic.
I felt, and it sounds daft now of course, that if I were to go near the circle that something would 'happen'. I don't know what exactly(!), but the feeling was telling me it was not a good idea to go any nearer.

I didn't know what to do. I'd planned and organized this holiday, made loads of effort to get here, couldn't wait to see these sites and now I stood 10 feet from the first one, paralyzed with fear to go anywhere near it!
Again, sounds daft, but I felt as though something or someone was aware of my presence there and was looking upon me as an intruder.

So strong was this feeling that I did something I had never done before (and done only once since) and assured this supposed 'entity' (or whatever it could possibly be) of my absolute best intentions and total respect.
"I come in peace" for want of a better expression!

After about a minute I plucked up enough courage to move slowly toward the circle, very careful with every step, trying to sense the atmosphere.
I got there, reached out a hand and, still pretty fearful, very gently touched the recumbent. After another minute or so i started to feel calmer, the fear went and the rest of my time spent there was fine.

My own subconscious fears coming to the surface or something else entirely?
Who knows.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index