Unexplained uneasy feeling

162 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GLADMAN
950 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Jul 07, 2011, 19:47
Littlestone wrote:
If anyone can put up the evidence for new elements, fair enough. I'm waiting. If not........

Well, that is something scientific research endeavours to do all the time (put up new evidence) based on the ideas, theories, mathematics etc of others. Because the evidence is not (yet) there for something is not proof that that ‘something’ does not exist.

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...”

:-)

Yeah - agree, but of course the opposite holds true as well. I shouldn't berate my late old Grandad for seeing pink spiders climbing the walls after drinking 15 pints of Guinness since.... well, he might have been right. After all, I can't 100% prove they weren't there, can I? Can you 100% prove anything doesn't exist? I can't prove God... or Dawkin's celebrated 'teapot'... doesn't exist. For one thing because, handily, they are invisible. Now there's a thing.

As I said, I've spent the past 25-odd years frequenting places traditionally held to be the haunt of spirits/ghosts, etc. Burial chambers, castles, battlefields, hillforts etc... sometimes at night, mist swirling around. Perfect. And never even a hint. You would have thought it odds-on that there would have been something? Surely? In 25 years? Or do they simply avoid me because I'm not worth the effort of scaring. Hope not, since I'd really, really like to sit down and have a chat.

I was looking at a book in Waterstones the other day where the author claims to have isolated the part of the brain (or something like that) that causes 'religious impulses' - with hard evidence. Sounds a good read. Might be rubbish, though. But the draw is the promise of 'evidence'. Not just, hey, this exists because I know it does, or voice in my head tell me so. That is dogma, and dogma of any kind is wrong.

By all accounts study of the human brain is progressing well.... or so my niece at St Andrews tells me. Want's to be a neurologist, of all things. Hopefully such research will one day help clarify what we truly experience, and what we simulate. Until then it remains open and I remain to be convinced. Until then I must go with what my senses tell me.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index