Unexplained uneasy feeling

162 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sweep
30 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Jul 08, 2011, 01:33
CARL wrote:
I've not experienced any 'uneasy' feelings (other than dodging land owners!) but Karen often has these feelings when visiting tombs. Apparently the ability to 'feel' the presence of 'spirits' is something which runs in her family and her sister has a very strong ability to do this.
I have to say that I take all this with a pinch of salt but I remember the first time we went to WKLB Karen was unable to set foot inside due to the feelings she was sensing. This has happened at other tombs as well (not all tombs) but that time at WKLB was the strongest she has felt. I was more concerned about getting my feet muddy in the puddle!

That's interesting. The first time I visited West Kennet I felt a very strong negative feeling, and the lady I was with felt it as well - a sort of mix of hostility and a `yukky' feeling, like something a bit sticky and unpleasant.

As always I try to be as objective as possible about these things, but there was definitely something not very pleasant which seemed to be localised around the barrow itself and made the entrance a rather unenticing place.

What does one do in such a situation? We discussed it and we both felt it was something external to both of us, not something psychlogical between us. That was very clear. I tried to look at my own feelings objectively, like a psychologist trying to understand a transference situation, if that makes sense, and tried to communicate a respectful and friendly feeling in return. (How else does one respond meaningfully to what certainly feels like a mood or emotion, whatever the real explanation may be?) My companion made a small offering of local grasses or something of the sort. Who knows what may have made the difference, but the feeling of the place lightened.

Neither of us know what it was, but we don't feel as if what we did in response to it simply addressed our own emotions. It certainly didn't feel subjective, whatever it was. I definitely stop short of saying it was some sentient presence, though it did tend to feel like that. I think it's reasonable to say what something felt like, without implying that this is what it was. As suggested earlier, maybe something lingers at location and can be sensed. I've found that sometimes seems to be the case, but at other times it feels like something responded to and not just sensed. All one can do, perhaps, is acknowledge the feeling as accurately as possible, and respond in the way that feels appropriate, however odd that may be, and see what happens. Jumping to conclusions would be rash, but ignoring the phenomenon would be a denial of something that evidently occurs, from whatever causes.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index